Wednesday, December 17, 2008

End of Year Reflections, part 1

I have been in denial for some time now that Christmas is very close by and that also means an end to the year 2008. They say that it is a sign of old age when time flies .... "they" always seem to know what "they" are talking about. The years are moving swiftly, much more swiftly than I wish them to, however, that is totally out of my hands. (Thank God for that.)
For the last few months, I have made the very dangerous statement that this year needs to end. Dangerous in the fact that I have no right to make that judgement. Only God in His infinite wisdom and His unending mercy and kindness is worthy to make that decision. And so I have changed my outlook. Journey with me, if you will, through this year.
March 1st was a turning point in Ben's life. His moped accident left us all a little drained. How he got through those pain-filled days is beyond me and how we, as his parents, coped with the rehabilitation is definitely beyond me. He could have lost his legs, he could have been paralyzed, he could have died.......instead, he was named first team, all-conference. But more than that, he fell in love with the God of his salvation and turned his life completely over to him.
August 11th was an extremely difficult day. Rich's brother, Don, passed away after a very short battle with an illness durinItalicg the summer. It was also the day that Rich hit rock bottom. His illness had been creeping up on him through late spring and early summer and came to a peak on that fateful day in August. We watched him literally self-destruct and shrivel up right before our very eyes. We watched a man who never met a stranger suddenly become a stranger himself. He could have cashed it in, he could have overdosed, he could have died ..... instead I watch him now loving life like never before.
Yes, looking back, one would be tempted to say that it does need to end. But I say it has a way of helping you to refocus your priorities. It has a way of helping you determine your very core and definitely helps you determine WHO is in charge.
It has been a great year for growth, a great year for reflection, a great year of blessing and we have only the LORD to give the credit to. Blessed be His name.

I Peter 1:17-19 If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with the precious blood, as of a lamb, unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Wow. What a snapshot of how things change. And to think that in the midst of all of those seemingly hopeless circumstances, God saw the year's end, and I venture to say he saw it with a smile on his face as thought to himsef, "Just you wait and see what I am about to do."