Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Happy Birthday, Andu!


Some days you get up and do the normal routine and don't even realize your life's about to change that day. Imagine if you will, having a 3-year-old and a 2-year-old running through the house and getting ready for day care, and here you are about to give birth. Crazy! Twenty-five years ago today I gave birth to Andrew Ryan Erdman. He was an adorable tow-headed kid and sweet as apple pie. As Andrew grew, he added an extra little touch to the household as he ran around with the "big" boys. Andrew was very much his own person and his own little entertainment center. He was daring and adventurous. One day I chased him through the trees on a battery-powered four-wheeler when he was only about two. I think I hit more trees than he did. He broke his arm at age 15 months (I still have the cast). He used to call his dad "Rich".
The most worst (I like that phrase) thing that ever happened to Andrew was that his parents made him move in the 7th grade -- that was absolutely awful -- but Andrew was okay eventually and made good friends during his life there.
Now, 25 years later, it has been interesting watching his life unfold. I have watched him struggle and overcome many obstacles. He told me he wanted to go to a major university and I really did not think it possible. We found a program at NC State that was perfect for him and so, there, he accomplished his goal. (I still remember the day his acceptance letter came - I had to open it and I cried and laughed and jumped and yelled all at one time.)
The name Andrew means "manly." Andrew fits that perfectly. My prayer is that God will bless him beyond measure because he really does strive to do His will.
So today, as I have done every year for 25 years, let me ask Andrew a question: "Did I ever tell you about the day you were born?"

No comments: