Saturday, November 29, 2008

So Far Away

"So far away, doesn't anybody stay in one place any more? It would be so fine to see your face at my door." Years ago (back in the dark ages of the 70s) my sister and I loved to listen to Carole King. Her sultry voice haunts me today as I remember one song in particular, "So Far Away." It just reminds me of little boys who grow up much too quickly and laundry piles that grow smaller... of daily grocery trips that now cost $15.72 instead of the monthly Sam's trips that cost $1,572. (What a difference a little dot like a decimal makes!) The pitter patter of little feet that transitioned into the thump thump thump of huge feet has given way to total silence on the hardwood floor. Many days and nights I spend with no noise and wonder where it all went. God's plan is that we are given children for a short time to enjoy and to love and to help along. I am not sure I did that much to help them along, but God certainly did His part with His grace and mercy. Now they are men, making their own way .... sometimes running, sometimes limping, sometimes skipping, sometimes stumbling .... but ALWAYS looking up to the heavens from whence cometh their strength.

While everyone is so far away and everyone has grown up, God saves His other gifts for the "over 50" crowd...... daughter-in-law and grandchildren!

No comments: